What a Breast Augmentation Is
A breast augmentation is an elective plastic surgery that aims at increasing breast volume by placing silicone or saline implants into a breast pocket created during surgery. There are 4 different incision types that San Diego women may choose from for their surgery:
- Periareolar, in which local plastic surgeon Dr. Kaweski makes an incision around the bottom of the areola
- Inframammary, in which an incision is made in the breast crease where the bottom of the breast meets the ribcage
- Transumbilical, in which an incision is made inside the belly button and the implant is moved up to the breast site through a channel that Dr. Kaweski creates
- Transaxillary, which is similar to the transumbilical incision and technique, only this time the incision is made in the armpit
What Are the Benefits of Breast Augmentation?
The most obvious benefits of getting breast implants are that they allow San Diego women to have the shape and size of breasts that they desire. For mothers who’ve lost breast volume due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, having breast implants placed can also rejuvenate a deflated breast appearance.
Of course, there are numerous physical benefits of breast augmentation, such as:
Patients can learn more about what benefits they’ll experience after their procedure at their initial consultation at our San Diego office.
Breast Augmentation Before/After Photos
Seeing before and after photos of breast augmentations can help patients make better decisions about which implants would be right for them.
Who Is a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Women who are in good general health are great candidates for having breast implants placed. To confirm your surgical eligibility, Dr. Kaweksi wants to make sure:
Types of Breast Implants
There are numerous different breast implants out there to accommodate every woman’s body, including:
- Silicone. These implants are filled with silicone gel and feel like natural breast tissue. They are like a gummy bear which contains a thicker silicone allowing the implant to maintain shape if it ruptures.
- Saline. Saline implants contain sterile salt water. This means that if they leak, the body will absorb this fluid without any issues.
- Textured. Textured implants are rough in texture on the outside to ensure they don’t move around at all. The scar tissue holds the implant in place, keeping them from slipping out of the desired position.
- Smooth. Smoother implants provide the softest feel. Because of this, they are also the most flexible and move the most inside the breast pocket, which helps them look more natural.
- Round. Round implants provide the fullest volume, as they are a uniform shape. They help both the top and bottom of the breast increase in size while also increasing the projection of the breasts. Additionally, it doesn’t matter if the implant shifts since it’s the same shape all the way around.
- Teardrop. Teardrop implants do a great job of mimicking the natural shape of the breast with a thinner top and fuller base. They are usually made of a semi-solid gel to help them feel soft while keeping stable.
What Is the Cost of a Breast Augmentation?
San Diego women seeking surgically enhanced breasts should know that the cost of the procedure varies greatly depending on surgical goals and choices. Factors that influence cost include choice of plastic surgeon and what type of breast implants are chosen (with options including silicone or saline, breast implant sizes, rounded or teardrop shaped implants, and different implant profile choices).
Dr. Kaweski is happy to be transparent with her prices and you can get a range of costs by clicking here.
The prices listed are only estimates and patients will need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Kaweski to find out their specific cost.We do accept credit cards, and financing options are available to customers who meet the requirements. Learn more about our financing options here.
What Is the Recovery Like?
Dr. Kaweski requires her San Diego patients to take 2 weeks off work or school for rest and recovery. During this time, you won’t be able to sleep on your stomach and are instead encouraged to sleep on your side in the fetal position or in a recliner (sleeping in bed on your back may place too much pressure on your chest and be uncomfortable). It’s recommended you take short, brisk walks to increase blood circulation, but you’ll need to abstain from strenuous exercise for 6 weeks after your procedure.
Breast Aug FAQs
What Are the Different Incision Options for Breast Aug?
There are three main incision options for breast augmentation:
- Inframammary, which involves cutting in the crease under the breast.
- Areolar or periareolar, which involves cutting around the edge of the nipple.
- Transaxillary, which involves cutting in the crease of the armpit.
What Are the Different Placement Options for Breast Aug?
There are two main placement options for breast augmentation:
- Submuscular placement, which puts the implant under the pectoral muscle.
- Subglandular/submammary placement, which puts the implant over the pectoral muscle and right beneath the breast tissue.
How Does Fat Transfer Work?
In some cases, Dr. Kaweski can pull fat from other parts of the body, such as the thighs, belly, or buttocks, and use this in place of an artificial implant.
Will I Lose Nipple Sensation?
Patients may experience a temporary loss of nipple sensation, but in most cases, sensation will return in 8-12 months.
Where will my surgery take place?
Dr. Kaweski exclusively performs plastic surgery procedures at the La Mesa Surgery Center.
Will I be asleep for my procedure?
Yes. Patients having breast implants placed will be put under general anesthesia by a local anesthesiologist, and be monitored by this specialized physician throughout the surgery.
How long will my surgery take?
While surgery length will vary depending on a patient’s treatment plan, most patients are done with surgery within 2 hours.
How to Book Your Consultation and What to Expect
To schedule a consultation, call San Diego’s Aesthetic Arts Institute of Plastic Surgery at (619) 464-9876. During your consultation, you’ll meet our all-female staff and speak directly with Dr. Kaweski herself. She’ll ask you about your concerns and desired outcomes, help you select breast implants for your procedure, and examine your breasts to make surgical recommendations including which implant type will help you achieve your goals, and which incision she recommends depending on your unique case.