For patients in San Diego who are unhappy with the size, shape, or proportions of their nose, a rhinoplasty may help. Dr. Kaweski has years of experience providing patients with the subtle changes they desire to their noses so they feel better about their facial appearance.
What Are the Benefits of Rhinoplasty?
The benefits of rhinoplasty are numerous. For patients who want to use rhinoplasty for cosmetic needs, the benefits include:
- Reducing the size of the nose by removing cartilage and bone for a sleeker, more refined appearance.
- Increasing the size of the nose by adding in grafts or implants for a shapelier look.
- Altering the nostrils to be larger (which can enhance breathing) or smaller (to reduce a constant flared look).
- Changing how the nose slopes or projects, which can be useful in balancing out the other facial features.
Not only can rhinoplasty improve your appearance, but it can also provide several medical benefits as well. These include:
- Repairing the septum or using grafts to help you breathe easier.
- Fixing a nose that’s been previously broken to help reopen the nasal channel and eliminate blockages.
Who Is a Candidate for Rhinoplasty?
In general, the San Diego patients who make the best candidates for rhinoplasty include those who:
- Are in good overall health.
- Have a cosmetic or medical issue with the nose, such as the nose being too big or having trouble inhaling through the nose.
- Do not smoke, as smoking can interfere with the surgical and healing process.
- Are older than 16, as the nose may still be forming in people younger than this.
- Are realistic about the potential results.
Of course, just because a patient ticks all the above boxes doesn’t mean they are a candidate. Patients who are interested in getting rhinoplasty will need to consult with Dr. Kaweski first before scheduling their procedure. At this initial consultation, she will be able to examine you to ensure you’re a good candidate for surgery.
Since rhinoplasty is such an individualized procedure that can accomplish a lot of things, Dr. Kaweski will work with you one-on-one to learn about your goals and devise a treatment plan that helps you meet these goals. This ensures that you are happy with the end result and can walk away with a nose you love.
Our Rhinoplasty Process
Your nose is a prominent feature, so achieving the right facial balance is essential. Prior to rhinoplasty surgery, Dr. Kaweski will conduct a thorough consultation to understand your desired goals. After an initial exam, photographs of your nose will be taken from multiple angles, and a digital image will be created. This allows you to see the various options and how changes to your nose will affect your appearance. Once you and your doctor decide on the desired outcome, a detailed surgical plan can be created.
Dr. Kaweski will then discuss recommendations for an open or closed procedure, review the changes to your nose, and explain what you can expect from surgery and recovery. She is happy to go over any questions or concerns you may have to help you feel as confident and comfortable as possible about your upcoming procedure.
The Rhinoplasty Procedure
Before surgery begins, general anesthesia will be administered to keep you comfortable and pain-free. Dr. Kaweski will either make an incision at the base of your nose (open rhinoplasty) or inside your nostrils (closed rhinoplasty) and begin the reshaping process. This may involve trimming away bone or cartilage or adding additional tissue to achieve the desired look.
Following surgery, a splint will be applied to your nose to help hold the desired shape and offer protection as it heals. You will wear this splint for about a week, along with gauze under your nose, to stop any bleeding. Swelling and bruising can take two to three weeks to diminish. Remember that it can take up to a year for the changes to your nose to become permanent, though the difference will be noticeable after surgery once the swelling goes down.