The shape and size of your nose contribute significantly to your overall appearance. Subtle changes can create better balance with other facial features without completely altering the way you look, or when more dramatic results are requested, provide you with the facial features and profile you’ve always desired.
Dr. Susan Kaweski offers rhinoplasty, the most common plastic surgery procedure in the United States, to San Diego patients to help them achieve the appearance they want. In addition to rhinoplasty’s cosmetic benefits, about one-half of Dr. Kaweski’s procedures also address functional concerns with breathing.
Dr. Kaweski has been in practice for over 25 years and has extensive experience in craniofacial procedures and plastic surgery. She combines these areas of expertise to deliver rhinoplasty results that are attractive, natural-looking, and functionally improved. Dr. Kaweski also uses the Vectra H2 photoimaging system that provides high resolution 3D images, which are used to simulate post operation results.
Benefits Of Rhinoplasty
Based on your needs, Dr. Kaweski can use craniofacial and plastic surgery techniques to:
- Reduce the size of your nose by breaking it and then removing bone or cartilage or shaving it down.
- Increase the size of your nose with an implant or graft.
- Reshape your nose or nostrils to be larger or smaller.
- Change the projection or slope of your nose.
- Repair the septum or use grafts to the nasal valves to aid in breathing.
- Correct a nose that has been broken in the past, which may require re-breaking and resetting the nasal bone.
Dr. Kaweski tailors each rhinoplasty to the San Diego patient and communicates her planned approach well in advance of surgery so that there’s a shared expectation of what a successful outcome will look and feel like.
Is A Rhinoplasty Right For You?
As a patient of Aesthetic Arts Institute in the San Diego area, you’ll have the support of professionals dedicated to your comfort and care. Dr. Kaweski and her staff believe your experience is as important as your final outcome. Expect timely appointments, a personable medical and administrative team, and the information you need to make the right decision about treatment.
San Diego rhinoplasty patients begin with an initial consultation. During your visit, Dr. Kaweski will:
- Talk with you about your concerns and the changes you’d like to make.
- Identify whether you have a functional problem to resolve, prefer to make cosmetic changes, or require a combination of both approaches.
- Conduct an examination of your nose and face.
- Learn about your medical history to ensure that you’re a good candidate for rhinoplasty.
- Prepare a personalized treatment plan for you, as Dr. Kaweski will tell you that no two rhinoplasty surgeries are alike.
This process is a collaboration between you and Dr. Kaweski, so you are always involved in your care and so that Dr. Kaweski can create an effective surgical plan.
In her practice, Dr. Kaweski carefully screens potential patients like you to make sure they are ideal candidates for rhinoplasty surgery. Typically, you will be eligible for rhinoplasty if:
- You have a cosmetic and/or functional nose issue that you want to have
- You are in good general health.
- You are a non-smoker, as smoking can complicate both the rhinoplasty procedure as well as the recovery process.
- You are at least 16 years of age, which is typically the age at which the nose stops growing.
- You have realistic results for your procedure.
- You are in good psychological health.
The Ideal Nose Shape
As Dr. Kaweski tells her patients, there is no ideal nose shape or profile. This is because every one of her San Diego patients has a unique facial structure and existing nose, as well as different desires for their nose’s look and profile. Because there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for cosmetic rhinoplasty, Dr. Kaweski will spend an extensive amount of time with you to understand what you would like your nose to look like following rhinoplasty surgery. She uses Vectra H2 analysis and simulation in order that the patient may visualize post operation results. Communicating your desires is of the utmost importance because it provides Dr. Kaweksi with the information she needs to prepare a personalized surgical plan for you.
What Is the Recovery From Rhinoplasty Like?
San Diego-area patients have their procedure at La Mesa Surgery Center under general anesthesia. Typically, you can expect to go home the same day as your procedure. Because you will be receiving strong sedatives for your procedure, you will not be able to drive yourself home after your surgery and will need to arrange for a friend or family member to transport you home.
The length of your surgery will depend on what you want to accomplish and the approach that Dr. Kaweski uses. Most procedures take several hours.
After your surgery, you will wear a cast on top of your nose for about one week. Additionally, Dr. Kaweski recommends keeping the cast on at night for about one month after surgery.
You will not be able to participate in your normal activities for about two weeks while sensitivity and swelling reduce. After this point, you should begin to recognize the benefits of your rhinoplasty, though it generally takes a full year for all swelling to go down and for you to see your final results: a more aesthetically-pleasing and functionally improved nose.
Deciding to get rhinoplasty is a very personal decision. But, you can reshape and/or repair your nose with a single surgical procedure, often boosting your self-esteem as well as your breathing. Contact our office in the San Diego area about rhinoplasty through our website or by phone at (619) 464-9876.