Separated abdominal muscles, or diastasis recti, is a big problem for San Diego tummy tuck patients. This condition occurs when there is too much pressure placed on the abdomen, causing the organs inside the abdominal cavity – mainly the intestines – to push through the abdominal muscles. The result of separated abdominal muscles is a bulge that you can’t get rid of on your own, no matter what you do.
Diastasis recti can affect any San Diego man or woman who has a problem with pressure being placed on their abdomen. It is most common, however, amongst pregnant women, due to the weight of the growing uterus on the abdominal muscles. If you have a bulge or a pooch that you just can’t diet or exercise away, especially if you’ve had children, it’s likely that you are experiencing separated abdominal muscles. But, don’t despair. With a tummy tuck performed by a skilled plastic surgeon like Dr. Kaweski of Aesthetic Arts Institute of Plastic Surgery, your abdominal muscles can be stitched back together, and your unwanted bulge will be eliminated for good.
What Are the Other Benefits of a Tummy Tuck?
In addition to helping to repair separated abdominal muscles, a tummy tuck can remove loose or sagging belly skin. Many San Diego residents experience this condition after pregnancy, losing a significant amount of weight, or by the effects of gravity and aging. A tummy tuck, in which an incision is made across the lower abdomen from hip to hip, can eliminate the unwanted skin by excising it from your abdomen.
What Should You Consider Before Getting a Tummy Tuck
There are several things that San Diego residents should consider before moving forward with a tummy tuck. These include:
- Whether or not you suspect you have diastasis recti, which is best corrected via surgery.
- Whether or not you have loose, sagging abdominal skin from pregnancy, significant weight loss or aging.
- Determining if you are at your goal weight, or if you have additional weight you need to lose before getting a tummy tuck.
- Ensuring your weight has been stable for some time before moving forward with a tummy tuck, as future weight gain can negate your results.
- If you’re a San Diego woman, being certain that you are done having children and are on a solid birth control plan, as future pregnancies can cancel out the amazing results you’ve received from a tummy tuck in the past.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
After you’ve considered the bulleted items above, we recommend that you schedule a consultation with Dr. Kaweski of San Diego’s Aesthetic Arts Institute of Plastic Surgery. During that time, she will evaluate your abdomen, as well as take a health history to ensure that:
- You’re in good overall health.
- You have realistic expectations for your surgery.
- You’re a non-smoker, as smoking can interfere both with the tummy tuck procedure and recovery time.
- You’re in good psychological health.
Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today
If you think you’re ready for a tummy tuck to correct separated abdominal muscles or loose, sagging belly skin, then don’t delay. Contact Dr. Kaweski’s offices today to schedule an initial consultation by calling (619) 464-9876.