Transgender breast surgery can help you achieve a physical identity that matches your gender identity. Dr. Susan Kaweski’s goal for transgender women is creating the most attractive, natural-looking breasts possible. For transgender men, it’s removing breast tissue in a way that produces an aesthetic, masculine result.
Whichever outcome you are seeking, you’ll receive supportive and attentive care from Dr. Kaweski and her staff at Aesthetic Arts Institute. We invest in our relationships with patients and guide them at every step because we know the experience matters as much as the end result. Learn more.
Our Approach to Transgender Breast Surgery
San Diego and La Mesa patients often come to their initial consultation with a lot of questions. Dr. Kaweski encourages this exploration and offers the time and information patients need to understand our procedures.
In your consultation:
- You’ll talk with Dr. Kaweski about what you want to accomplish with transgender breast surgery.
- She will conduct an examination to evaluate your needs and surgical options.
- You’ll be able to review before-and-after photos of patients like you.
Your Goals with Transgender Breast Surgery
For Breast Augmentation Patients
People transitioning to female often desire a more beautiful, feminine body. Dr. Kaweski’s surgical approach is to create natural-looking breasts that are appropriate to your frame and that compliment your figure.
Dr. Kaweski may also recommend a breast lift as part of your surgical plan. If there is ptosis (sagging of the chest wall,) this additional procedure can add lift, support, and perkiness.
For Breast Tissue Removal (Mastectomy) Patients
Patients transitioning to male may prefer a chest that is firm, muscular, and masculine. Dr. Kaweski offers mastectomy or liposuction to achieve these results. The approach she uses in this type of transgender breast surgery depends on the patient’s goals and needs:
- People with limited breast tissue may receive a subcutaneous mastectomy, which removes tissue beneath the breast and leaves the skin above intact.
- Patients who have large breasts may require a nipple graft or liposuction. Dr. Kaweski uses Smartlipo technology to remove fat more accurately and with less bruising. Nipple reduction techniques are used to make the nipple areola complex more masculine.
Your Experience with Transgender Breast Surgery
San Diego and La Mesa patients have their procedures under general anesthesia at La Mesa Surgery Center. Dr. Kaweski conducts surgery on an outpatient basis, so you can go home the same day. She advises against strenuous activity during recovery, which will last about 4-6 weeks. Typically during this time:
- Transgender female breast surgery patients wear a sports bra and bandeau.
- Mastectomy patients who have more extensive procedures have drains in place for 7-10 days following surgery. They usually require a compression vest, which is worn for 4-6 weeks post-operation.
Once you have recuperated, you can look forward to a body that is a more perfect expression of your gender identity. For transitioning women, this means a more beautifully effeminate figure. Transitioning men can expect a more sculpted, masculine appearance.
Learn more about transgender breast surgery. Contact our San Diego and La Mesa offices online or by phone at (619) 464-9876.