Chemical peels continue to be one of the most popular methods of full skin rejuvenation used today. These treatments involve the application of a chemical solution to the face, which is left on for a prescribed period of time before it is neutralized and removed. Peels can be tailored to the unique needs and desired outcomes of each individual patient. It should be noted that the more dramatic the results from a chemical peel, the longer the recovery time after treatment.
Types of Chemical Peels
Chemical peels range from light peels to medical strength treatments, depending on the severity of the skin concerns to be addressed. At Aesthetic Arts Institute of Plastic Surgery in the La Mesa and San Diego area, we offer the following options in chemical peels based on the specific skin issues requiring treatment:
Hyperpigmentation is a darkening of the skin caused by an increase in melanin production. Hyperpigmentation can effectively be treated with the following:
- Brighten-Up Peel – appropriate for sensitive skin that cannot tolerate alpha hydroxy acids
- Melanin Lift – contains vitamin A, alpha hydroxy acids and TCA to even skin tone
- Crystal Bright Peel – a peel used with microdermabrasion to create even skin tone
Dry skin can look dull and show the signs of aging long before its time. This problem can be addressed with the following options:
- Baby Boomer Peel – designed to stimulate the skin’s own cell renewal for a younger appearance
- Lactic Hydration Peel – a treatment to increase skin hydration for a health glow
Acne can strike at any age, from the teen years to the middle years of life. We offer treatment for La Mesa and San Diego patients of all ages with acne-prone skin, including:
- Crystal Clear Peel – formulated to exfoliate dead skin cells, control oil production and reduce breakouts
- Magic Combo Peel – will rebalance oil and cleanse impurities from sensitive acne-prone skin
- Vitamin A and Peroxide Peel – used to exfoliate and eliminate impurities forhealthier skin
- Detox Peel – controls acne and heals lesions for smoother skin overall
Even patients with sensitive skin can reap the benefits of a chemical peel without unwanted redness and irritation afterward. Options for sensitive skin types include:
- Aqua-Derm Peel – softens fine lines and increases hydration for a smoother skin surface
- Go & Glow Peel – restores hydration and strengthens underlying skin structure for a healthier appearance
- Lactose and Vitamin A Peel – reduces the appearance of broken capillaries and restores softness to even the most delicate skin
- Medical-Grade Peels
Medical-grade peels are also available at Aesthetic Arts Institute of Plastic Surgery for La Mesa and San Diego patients who require more dramatic treatment results. All of the peels included in this category require recovery time of 10-14 days, as the outer layers of skin peel away, leaving softer, smoother skin underneath. Prices for the medical-grade peels include pre- and post-peel home care skin products.
We offer the following medical-grade peels:
- 20% TCA Peel – softens fine lines and wrinkles, lightens pigmentation and evens skin texture and tone
- 40% TCA Peel – provides more dramatic improvement to facial lines, hyperpigmentation and uneven skin texture
- Combination 20%/40% TCA Peel – provides dramatic results with the ability to customize the solution to specific areas that require the most exfoliation
In addition to these specialized peels, we also offer peels appropriate for all skin types and concerns. These treatment options include:
- Glycolic Acid Peels – smooth and soften skin while controlling acne breakouts
- Glycolic Acid and Salicylic Acid Peels – refreshes skin while evening skin tone and balancing oil production
- Lactic Acid Peels – encourages new cell production for reduced appearance of fine lines
- Modified Jessner Peels – creates smoother skin with fewer lines and even texture
- Z.O. Peels – customized peels and facials designed to work with a patient’s specific skin type and disorder
La Mesa and San Diego patients can also choose a chemical peel specifically designed for the chest area that works effectively on the delicate, thinner skin of the décolleté to remove hyperpigmentation and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
What about Results?
Results of a chemical peel can be seen and felt right away and continue to improve in the weeks following treatment. Results of medical-grade peels are not seen for 2-3 weeks until the skin heals. The duration of results depends on the depth of the peel, with medical-grade peels lasting much longer than light peels.
Chemical peels are an effective way to address a host of skin concerns. To learn more about the various peels available at Aesthetic Arts Institute of Plastic Surgery in the La Mesa and San Diego area, contact our staff to schedule a consultation with our aesthetician by calling (619) 464-9876.